FedEx Office Privacy Notice
Last update: April 19, 2023
This Privacy Notice is not a contract and does not create any legal rights or obligations.
Your trust matters to us. That is why we protect your information and use it responsibly, while continuing to deliver the excellent services you expect from FedEx Office and Print Services, Inc. and its operating groups, subsidiaries and divisions (hereafter “FedEx”). At FedEx, we are committed to protecting your privacy and the security of information that can directly or indirectly be used to identify a natural person (hereafter “Personal Data”). FedEx has created this privacy notice (hereafter “Privacy Notice”) to explain how FedEx collects and uses Personal Data we obtain through use of our Services, including, without limitation, via our Website, software applications made available by us for use on or through computers and mobile devices, and other office-services transactions.
When this Privacy Notice mentions “FedEx”, “we”, “us”, or “our”, FedEx is referring to the FedEx company that is deciding on the purposes and means of the processing of your Personal Data under this Privacy Notice.
If you are a California resident, please see the “California Consumers” section below, for further information on our collection and use of your personal information.
Attn: Legal Department - Compliance
1000 Ridgeway Loop Road, Ste 500
Memphis, TN 38120
United States of America
FedEx Office Print & Ship Services, Inc.
Attn: Legal Department – Managing Director, Business Transactions & Regulatory
Attn: Legal Department – Data Privacy Manager
7900 Legacy Drive
Plano, TX 75024
Use the following link for your requests about your Personal Data: Privacy Web Form
If you do not have access to a computer, you may call 1.800.463.3339.
This Privacy Notice answers the following questions:
- Does this Privacy Notice apply to you?
- What Personal Data does FedEx collect?
- How does FedEx collect Personal Data?
- Why does FedEx process Personal Data?
- Who has access to your Personal Data?
- How long will FedEx process your Personal Data?
- What measures does FedEx take to protect your Personal Data?
- Where does FedEx store or transfer your Personal Data?
- Does the FedEx site contain links to third party websites?
- What rights can you exercise in relation to your Personal Data?
- California Consumers
- What if you have other questions or complaints?
- Will there be updates to this Privacy Notice?
1. Does this Privacy Notice apply to you?
This Privacy Notice applies to you if you are a customer of FedEx, a supplier of FedEx, or if you contact FedEx, for instance, by visiting our Website, engaging with FedEx social media or if you receive emails from FedEx. Depending on your interaction with FedEx and the services and/or products you use, you may be subject to other FedEx privacy notices that govern the collection and use of your Personal Data. These notices can be found on the respective sites for FedEx’s products and services.
Our Websites are for a general audience and not aimed at children. In principle, we do not collect Personal Data (as such term is defined in Section 2, below) from children under age 16. If you are under the age of 16 and you want to use our services, please rely on a parent or guardian to assist you.
Our programs, websites and mobile applications are not directed toward minors under 16 years of age. We do not knowingly collect, share, or sell the Personal Information of minors. If a child under the age of 16 may have disclosed Personal Data to us, the parent or guardian can complete this form and we will remove Personal Data if required.
2. What Personal Data does FedEx collect?
In the course of its business activities and providing the services, FedEx will need to process Personal Data. Without your Personal Data, we will not be able to provide you with the requested services. The Personal Data that you provide directly or indirectly to FedEx when using our services and visiting our Websites are:
PERSONAL DATA COLLECTED DIRECTLY FROM YOU
- Contact information. This may include individual and business contact information such as your name, address, email address and phone number.
- Payment and other transaction information. This may include your payment card details, payment status, invoices, and information about your transactions such as products and service you purchase.
- User Uploaded Information. This may include information you may upload, such as information contained in documents you upload for printing services or other Personal Data that you may provide to obtain a product or service.
- Account information. This may include log-in details, including your email address, and other information provided through your account or loyalty program to access our services.
- User and preference information. This may include complaints, history of purchases and related commercial activities, communication, survey information, and shopping preferences. The data we collect depends on the context of your interactions with FedEx and the choices you make, including your participation in our loyalty programs and the products and features you use.
PERSONAL DATA COLLECTED THROUGH AUTOMATED TECHNOLOGIES
This will include IP address, unique device or user ID, system and browser type, date and time stamps, referring website address, content and pages you accessed on our Websites or mobile apps, dates, times and locations actions take place, websites you visit (if you connect to our in-store wireless services), click-stream information, device location (if you turn on the feature in the mobile app), among others.
PERSONAL DATA COLLECTED FROM THIRD PARTIES
To provide you the most relevant content and experiences, we may combine information provided by you with information from third party sources, in accordance with applicable law.
In addition to the above categories of Personal Data, depending on your interaction with FedEx, we may collect other types of information which may or may not contain Personal Data, including that derived from third party web analytics providers. These web analytics providers help us analyze how visitors use our services and may include website and mobile app technical information (e.g., pages of a website or app a visitor visited, visitor’s type of computer operating system, visitor’s type of web browser, backend technical data, etc.), selective recordings of on-screen user activity, and limited behavioral information (e.g. how a visitor has interacted with the website or app, time of engagement, search terms used to navigate our website, etc.).
3. How does FedEx collect Personal Data?
FedEx collects Personal Data (i) when it is provided directly from the customer or account holder or by a visitor to our website, (ii) from publicly available databases, and (iii) from our service providers or other third parties performing services on our behalf. Examples of situations where FedEx collects Personal Data directly are:
- We may collect the name, address, email address, and phone number of a person who completes a self-serve print order, including from service providers or third parties performing outsourced print services, support services or other services complementary to our own.
- We may collect the name, address, email address, and phone number of a person who requests status updates for a print order.
- We may collect information you may upload to our Services, such as information contained in documents you upload for printing services.
- We may collect browsing history through our computer rental services.
- We may collect demographic information from publicly available databases including, for example, income or whether you are a member of a household.
- We may collect survey responses, chat sessions, and feedback regarding products and services purchased, customer service interactions, and your customer experience.
- We may collect CCTV recordings (when visiting store locations that use security cameras).
We may combine information that you give us online and in our stores with publicly available information, and information received from that we receive from or cross-reference with third parties. When FedEx receives Personal Data indirectly, we rely on the provider of the Personal Data for the accuracy of the information and that the provider has the authority to provide that information to FedEx.
5. Why does FedEx process Personal Data?
Personal Data is collected, used, stored or otherwise processed when necessary within the framework of responsible, efficient and effective business management of FedEx. FedEx processes Personal Data based on applicable legal ground(s). The legal ground is often intrinsically linked to the business purpose. This means, for example, that the performance of an agreement can be both a legal ground and a business purpose for FedEx. Therefore, we will first clarify the legal ground(s) on which FedEx processes your Personal Data and, subsequently, the business purpose(s) that we use your Personal Data for:
In general, FedEx processes your Personal Data based on one of the following legal grounds:
- The processing is necessary to perform an agreement between you and FedEx,
- The processing is necessary for us to comply with our legal obligations,
- The processing is necessary to protect your vital interests or those of other individuals,
- The processing is necessary for the legitimate interests of FedEx, except where such interests are overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms, or
- Where appropriate and required, we will ask for your consent.
FedEx shall only collect, use or otherwise process Personal Data if the processing falls within the scope of one (or more) of the legitimate business purposes listed below. Notwithstanding the purposes listed below, FedEx does not collect, use, or otherwise process the content of any files, paper document, or other submission for our Services.
- Product development, research and improvement of FedEx products and/or Services. FedEx processes Personal Data as necessary for the development and improvement of our Website (including, among others, diagnosing technical and service problems, to further develop, customize and improve our Services and general user experience, based on common or personal preferences, experiences and difficulties), FedEx products and/or Services, research and development (e.g., analyze information related to the Services to improve our product and Services offerings).
- Performing agreements. This includes the provision of our Services, communication with individuals and other parties regarding the Services, responding to requests for information, dispute resolution, and preparing agreements providing and arranging for other Services you may request (e.g. such as printing and tracking services), collecting and processing payments, providing customer support related to the Services, and establishing and maintaining your account, among others.
- Relationship management and marketing for commercial activities. In general, FedEx processes Personal Data as necessary for the development and improvement of FedEx products and/or Services, account management, client services and the performance of (targeted) marketing activities in order to establish a relationship with a client customer and/or maintaining as well as extending a relationship with a customer (e.g. communicate with you about products and services we believe may interest you or communicate about, and administer your participation in, special events, surveys, and other offers or promotions), business partner or supplier and for performing analyses with respect to Personal Data for statistical and scientific purposes (e.g., deliver advertising, communications and content from us on our Website and those of third parties more specific to your interests). In addition, we may use information collected online through cookies, web beacons, and other automated means for purposes such as (i) customizing our users’ visits to our Sites, (ii) delivering content (including advertising) tailored to our users’ interests and the manner in which our users browse our Services, and (iii) managing our business.
- Business process execution, internal management and management reporting. This includes addressing activities such as managing company assets, debt collection, conducting internal audits and investigations, finance and accounting, implementing business controls, provision of central processing facilities for efficiency purposes, managing mergers, acquisitions and divestitures and processing Personal Data for management reporting and analysis.
- Safety and security. Personal Data shall be included in the processing for activities such as those involving safety and health, the protection of FedEx and customer, supplier or business partner assets and the authentication of customer, supplier or business partner status and access rights (e.g., provide a safe and secure services for online and offline transactions).
- Protecting the vital interests of individuals. This includes processing data when necessary to protect your vital interests or those of other individuals (e.g., for urgent medical reasons).
- Compliance with legal obligations. This addresses the processing of Personal Data as necessary for compliance with laws, regulations and sector specific guidelines to which FedEx is subject (e.g., retention of information relevant to a dispute, investigation, or audit).
6. Who has access to your Personal Data?
FedEx shares your Personal Data with third parties in the following circumstances:
- With its affiliates, operating groups, subsidiaries and divisions, or with third parties if such is necessary for the purposes as listed above. If appropriate, FedEx will require third parties to conduct activities in a manner consistent with FedEx policies and guidelines in relation to data protection.
- With third parties, i.e., parties such as vendors or service providers processing Personal Data on our behalf. We may engage selected third party companies and individuals to perform outsourced print services, support services or other services complementary to our own, including, without limitation, hosting, data analytics, consulting, development, support, marketing and advertising, payment processing, user engagement, e-mail distribution and monitoring, text messaging and session recording; as well as our business, legal and financial advisors (“Service Providers”). In such cases, these third parties only use your Personal Data for the purposes described above and only in accordance with our instructions. FedEx will only use vendors which provide sufficient guarantees to implement appropriate technical and organizational measures and ensure the protection of the rights of data subjects.
- With its employees if and to the extent necessary for the performance of their tasks. In such a case, access will be granted only if and to the extent necessary for the purposes described above and only if the employee is bound by confidentiality.
- If and when required to do so by law, court order, or other legal process, for example, with law enforcement agencies or other governmental agencies, to establish or exercise our legal rights or in connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divesture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
For the avoidance of doubt, FedEx may share your Personal Data in additional manners, such as pursuant to your explicit approval (e.g. to another vendor for specialty binding, to an installer to install signage prior to your event, etc.), if we are legally obligated to do so, or if we have rendered such data non-personal and anonymous. We may transfer, share or otherwise use non-personal data at our sole discretion and without the need for further approval.
7. How long will FedEx process your Personal Data?
We will retain your Personal Data no longer than necessary for the purpose(s) for which we process your Personal Data. After the retention period we will delete or anonymize your Personal Data, unless we need to retain certain of your Personal Data for another purpose. We will only do so if we have a legal ground to retain your Personal Data. We will also ensure that Personal Data are only accessible for that other purpose.
8. What measures does FedEx take to protect your Personal Data?
FedEx maintains appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect your Personal Data against accidental or unlawful processing, including protecting your Personal Data against unauthorized access, maintaining the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your Personal data, and training personnel on information security requirements.
However, no security measure can guarantee against compromise. You also have an important role in protecting your Personal Data. You should not share your username and password with anyone, and you should not re-use passwords across more than one website. If you have a reason to believe that your Personal Data has been compromised, please contact us as detailed above.
10. Does the FedEx site contain links to third party websites?
11. What rights can you exercise in relation to your Personal Data?
Based on the law applicable to the use of your Personal Data, you may have rights that you can exercise in relation to your Personal Data. Note that in some cases we are not required to completely comply with your request, as such rights may be conditional or because we have to balance your rights against our rights and obligations to process your Personal Data and to protect the rights and freedoms of others. A number of the rights you have in relation to your Personal Data, the State of California, or other US or international geographic jurisdictions, are explained below:
Right of access
You may be entitled to a copy of the Personal Data we hold about you and to learn details about how we use it. Your Personal Data will usually be provided to you digitally. We may require you to prove your identity before providing the requested information.
Right to rectification
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the information we hold about you is accurate and complete. However, if you believe this is not the case, you may have the right to request that any incomplete or inaccurate Personal Data that we process about you is amended.
Right to erasure
You may have the right to ask us to erase your Personal Data, for example where the Personal Data we collected is no longer necessary for the original purpose, where Personal Data has become obsolete or where you withdraw your consent (if we are processing your Personal Data based on consent). However, this will need to be balanced against other factors. For example, we may not be able comply with your request due to certain legal or regulatory obligations.
Right to restriction of processing
You may be entitled to ask us to (temporarily) stop using your Personal Data, for example where you think that the Personal Data we hold about you may be inaccurate or where you think that we no longer need to use your Personal Data.
Right to data portability
You may have the right to ask that we transfer Personal Data that you have provided to us to a third party of your choice. This right can only be exercised when you have provided the Personal Data to us, and when we are processing that data by automated means on the basis of your consent or in order to perform our obligations under a contract with you.
Right to object
You may have the right to object to processing which is based on our legitimate interests. In case of the processing of Personal Data for marketing purposes, you have the right to object at any time. When you ask us to stop using your Personal Data for marketing purposes, FedEx will immediately cease to use your Personal Data.
For other purposes based on our legitimate interests, we will no longer process the Personal Data on that basis when you file an objection based on your grounds relating to your particular situation, unless we have a compelling legitimate ground for the processing. Note, however, that we may not be able to provide certain services or benefits if we are unable to process the necessary Personal Data for that purpose.
Rights relating to automated decision-making
You may have the right not to be subjected to automated decision-making, including profiling, which produces legal effect for you or has a similar significant effect. If you believe you have been subject to an automated decision and do not agree with the outcome, you can contact us using the details below and ask us to review the decision.
Right to withdraw consent
We may ask for your consent to process your Personal Data in specific cases. When we do this, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. FedEx will stop the further processing as soon as possible after the withdrawal of your consent. However, this does not affect the lawfulness of the processing before consent was withdrawn.
Use the following form for your requests about these rights.
If you do not have access to a computer, you may call 1.800.463.3339, or contact us using the contact details above.
You can manage your accounts with FedEx through the following.
- Emails: For account holder email preferences, visit the Email Preference Center, available once logged into our Site.
- Mobile: To opt out for mobile, text STOP to 37473. You can always opt back in by texting YES to the same number.
- Cookies and other technologies: To exercise choices you have for certain cookies, you can generally review your Internet browser settings, typically under the sections "Help" or "Internet Options". If you disable or delete certain cookies in your Internet browser settings, you might not be able to access or use important functions or features of the Websites, and you may be required to re-enter your log-in details.
To learn more about certain cookies used for interest based advertising by third parties, including through cross- device tracking, and to exercise certain choices regarding such cookies, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance, Network Advertising Initiative , or your device settings.
12. California consumers
If you reside in California, we are required to provide additional information to you about how we use and disclose your information, and you may have additional rights with regard to how we use your information. We have included this California-specific information below.
Consistent with the "What Personal Data does FedEx collect?" section above, we collect certain categories and specific pieces of information about individuals that are considered "Personal Information" in California. As detailed above, we may collect this Personal Information from you and other third parties. We collect, share and disclose Personal Information for the business and commercial purposes described in the "Why does FedEx process Personal Data?" and "Who has access to your Personal Data?" sections above.
We do not "sell" your Personal Information, as this term is defined under California law. Given the divergent practices of organizations that offer browsers and the lack of a standard in the marketplace, we do not respond to Do Not Track signals at this time.
Should you wish to request the exercise of your other rights as detailed above with regard to your Personal Information, we will not discriminate against you by offering you different pricing, products or services, or by providing you with a different level or quality of products or services, based solely upon this request. Please contact us as described above to exercise such rights.
If you are a California consumer and you wish to exercise your rights as outlined in this section, you may need to provide information such as name and e-mail so that we can verify your identity. We will use the information you provide when exercising your rights for no other purpose other than to verify your identity.
You also have the option of designating an authorized agent to exercise your rights on your behalf. For authorized agents submitting requests on behalf of California residents, please contact us as described above, with any evidence you have that you have been authorized by a California consumer to submit a request on their behalf.
FedEx provides metrics regarding privacy requests it receives on an enterprise level. Please follow the below link to view these metrics. For clarity, these metrics include privacy requests received from all FedEx affiliates and subsidiaries.
13. What if you have other questions or complaints?
Questions or complaints regarding the processing of your Personal Data can be directed to FedEx by using the contact information as provided at the top of this Privacy Notice.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the competent (local) data protection or government authority in the jurisdiction where you work, where you live or where an alleged infringement takes place.
14. Will there be updates to this Privacy Notice?
FedEx may update this Privacy Notice from time to time. If an amendment will have a serious impact, FedEx will endeavor to actively inform you about such amendments. FedEx will publish an up-to-date Privacy Notice on the Website at all times indicating the latest amendments.